Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fast Application Access on Windows XP

It used to be that anytime somebody saw my laptop screen at work, they would joke about the number of icons in my Quick Launch toolbar. I had 2 rows of icons followed by a row of shortcuts. Although it was organized (Office products, developer tools, Internet apps, graphics, etc.), it did seem a bit overwhelming. So after purchasing my first Mac recently, I decided to look for an equivalent app to the Finder feature of OS X.

I discovered this gem: SlickRun

It sits just about my system tray and using various "Magic Words", I can start up any of those apps that I had bookmarked before. And with auto-complete goodness, it's rather fast. I have now eliminated my Quick Launch toolbar altogether.

Now supposedly having a lot of icons doesn't slow down your computer, but I have noticed an increase in performance since I got rid of the Quick Launch bar. I think having shortcuts to a bunch of networked drives was causing a performance hit.

Best of all it's a free app. They just ask you to shop Amazon using the provided link.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates