Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Paperless Billing

One of my goals for 2012 has been to get better organized and get a better grip on my finances. And one way that I've done that is to switch to paperless billing for some of my accounts. I have tried this in the past but it never worked because I would lose the bill in my inbox. But I have come up with a solution that seems to work better this time.


The first thing I did was to download Mozilla Thunderbird onto my desktop and put it in my Startup folder. Then I created a new email called statements@my-domain-name-dot-com and configured Thunderbird to check it. Next I created a second email called bills@my-domain-name-dot-com that forwards all incoming mail to the statements account as well as the email account I check on my iPhone. That way when I get a bill, I get a reminder on my phone AND on my desktop computer at home. Lastly, I used the filtering capabilities of Thunderbird to move the various bills and statements into folders for each company I do business with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates